Consider boycott of ‘Da Vinci Code’ film, Vatican official..

Tell us your views about CURRENT issues!

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

farm, this is an addendum to my post immediately preceding this one.

i'm so sorry to have missed out the line that your grisham fave is the PAINTED HOUSE..... grabe ko da sa lagi ka fast reader.hahahaha

seems like eons ago when i told abb to read THE PAINTED HOUSE. and i guess abb hasn't found time. but she has read CIDER HOUSE RULES [with less prodding from me], and we both agreed that the film version (though the script was written by john irving himself) betrayed the book. but then again, we're talking here of two different media.

one word for THE PAINTED HOUSE: P-O-I-G-N-A-N-T-!
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

K-Spy,

hahaha... here you go again... VORACIOUSLY... you make me think of the tasmanian devil.

Sorry... guys but didn't get a chance to read "The Painted...". Last books I did of Grishams' were "The Partner" and "The Brethren". Lost interest for reasons unknown. Same with Michael Crichton. Enjoyed his Jurassic, The Lost World plus few more then my interest just fizzled out. James Patterson however, is a different kettle of fish. :lol: :lol: Did you read "Suzzanne's Diary for Nicholas"? Isn't that so out of character for him? Was bawling buckets.

Farm, been reading books by Filipino authors as well. Please check out Gilda Cordero Fernando's "The last Full Moon". I think you'll enjoy it.

K-Spy don't laugh... Remember Nick Bantock. . . Well, this is much better..full correspondences I'm poring over between Vincent van Gogh and his brother Theo. 3 Volumes K-Spy.....I love his letters more than his art actually.

Farm...Stephen King rendered me witless after reading his "The Shining" and "Misery". But thanks to K-Spy's recommendation of his "On Writing" I might be able to face his books again. :)

Just finished "The Egyptologist" by Arthur Phillips I enjoyed it. Check it out.

I was dying to share "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie, gem of a book, originally published in French, to K-Spy. But unfortunately it never got there. :cry: Pony Express . . . go figure. Tiny book but loaded.

K-Spy. . . I'm reunited again with Homer's "The Odyssey" :lol: :lol: After doing Dumas "The Count of Monte Cristo". Been revisiting lots of classic lately. Now I'm really almost convince that I once was living in the 18th century---as Elizabeth Bennet perhaps hahaha...

Farm, please check out Lisa See's books especially "Snow Flower and The Secret Fan". Quick easy read...I love it. I cried till Lu said, "tama na yan baka akala ng mga bata ina-api kita"

K-Spy, Alex wants to start Angels and Demons followed by DVC. What do you think? Too mature of a book for an 11 year old? 2 of her bestfriends started DVC over the weekend. In time to finish before the movie's opening. Told her to hold until I give her the green light ga alboroto naay pero koman inka uli-an na. Adto ga bawon nan iya fave 5th book of Harry Potter. She just finished an age appropriate "Goose Chase" by Patrice Kindl.

Happy reading you'll... :wink:

one moon vanquizt
Neophyte
Neophyte

Unread post by one moon vanquizt »

for those who find dan brown's dvc and a @ d entertaining and enlightening as well, try the master of this literary sub-genre, UMBERTO ECO... you'll find labyrinthine wisdom, historical truths, half-truths and untruths in one engaging ride...his Name of the Rose runs spy thriller plots and subplots of arcane and medieval secrets complete with killer monks and renaissance lifestyle...his Foucault's Pendulum melds physics and end-of-the-world acrobatics in one sweeping poetic frontier...another good alternative to dan brown's is ian caldwell's rule of four, less cinematic pretentions, more arcane knowledge...

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

One Moon,

Welcome aboard...we're glad to have you :) can't remember where I was going but definitely was at the airport when I first opened "The Name of the Rose" mid 80's. Didn't go very far. :( Preferred the in-flight movie. I recall stuffing it back in my oversize tote then amnesia took over.

But fret not… I assure you I’ve read at least one of his book. The one with the protagonist, a rare book dealer had a stroke, his memory of himself was erased but not the memory of every movie he’s seen and every book he’s read. In order to recover his memory, he went back to the family home in northern Italy, he scour old newspapers, magazines, diaries, records, etc. etc. etc.…by immersing himself in these, memory of his past came back. Hayyyyy.....All’s well that ends well. As Shakespeare would have it. :) Thing is, I can’t remember the title of the book. “The Mysterious.. . . (something, something, something)… you know what book I’m referring to right? I’m pretty sure he was the author.

One Moon, hope you’ll enjoy your ride here at tagosds.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

K-Spy,

Bagan kay inin si One Moon one heck of a force to be reckoned with... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ampay niyan mga medieval mysteries na ako na paga pahilay-an. Basin membro siyan Sacred Science Institute kay interesado siyan Cosmic Play in a Symbolic Universe. Pati nan Pixies astan Sonic Youth (the band????)

Taga Anahao Bag-o siya. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dr.X
Neophyte
Neophyte

Unread post by Dr.X »

I've just started reading this Dan Brown novel (Deception Point ), and the bad science is getting me down. I'm going to rant about it here and see if that helps.

There's this meteorite, described as "an amorphous blob .... with a diameter of 10 feet", which is stated as weighing "more than eight tons". It was spotted because its density is unusually high (well, I didn't want to go near how they remotely sense density...).

I did the math. If it is even close to spherical (as implied by the use of the word "diameter"), it's volume is approximately 14 cubic metres. So if it is water, it will weigh around 14 tonnes (which is pretty close to 14 tons and definitely more than 8 tons). If its density is unusually high, it should weigh at least 25 tons. So the statement that it weighs more than 8 tons allows for the possibility that it is significantly less dense than water. Aaaaaargh!

One of the "scientists" in the novel then goes on to explain how the meteorite was heated as it eneterd Earth's atmosphere ... by friction. Aaaaargh! again. (the heating during atmospheric entry is caused by compression of air, not by friction - well, maybe 1% of it is by friction)

Warning : Spoiler alert!

There was a discussion of the possibility of extraterrestrial life, during which it was stated that it was "well known" that the likeliest form this would take is arthropod (insects, millipedes, spiders, scorpions etc.). He went on to say that insects account for 95% of species on Earth, and 40% of the biomass. Aaaargh! three times over. Maybe that's true of the animal kingdom, but, hey, what about plants, fungi, bacteria, cyanobacteria, archaea and protista?

The novel was written in 2001, so there is no excuse for being unaware that bacterial life (or some similar single-celled life form) is expected to be the most likely form extra-terrestrial life might take. Anyone else remember that meteorite that caused a bit of a hoo-hah back in '96?

There is a bit more bad science, but this is almost excusable by comparison. He discusses the hardiness of arthropod life forms, but fails to mention extremophiles. There are unicellular organisms that thrive in conditions that would dissolve and / or fry pretty much any arthropod. The only arthropods of which I am aware that come close are tardigrades (or water bears). But he doesn't mention these either.

Right, that's my rant finished with. Does anyone else get annoyed by bad science in novels?
"Life is wasted on the living" - Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

sapaalaska
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator
Birthday: 01 May 1964

Unread post by sapaalaska »

Manila bans showing of 'The Da Vinci Code'
05/18 6:51:08 PM

MANILA (AFP) - Authorities here on Thursday banned all cinemas in the city from screening the controversial film "The Da Vinci Code."

A resolution was signed by a majority of the city councillors just hours after it premiered in Asia's bastion of Catholicism.

The resolution said the movie, which was based on US author Dan Brown's explosive novel, is "offensive to the established beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church."

It stressed that the country's Revised Penal Code states that "it is a crime to exhibit films which offend a religion."

City councillor Benjamin Asilo, who authored the resolution, said malls and cinema owners who defy the ban risked being fined, or their owners imprisoned.

Those caught selling pirated DVDs or VCDs of the movie could also be jailed for up to six months, Asilo warned.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Ina-a pa koman. . . . bagan kay anhi kita yanga anod. Diba an ato mga post nganhi sa pabyon kinahanglan sa garo na TINAGON-ON labo na yaon lumad para dili nato kalimtan an lamii na sinultihan na amoy ato yamathan??? Uno sa taraw na yanag eninglis nasa kita... singkitar si Manong Tony kon huboghubog na ag man lugwa ton kahin pa maninglis :lol: :lol:

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Saps/Grabehirs,

Diba kahapon an premiere showing nan DVC sa Cannes Film Festival? Abi ko ton kon kuman amoy media entertainment headline news. . pero sali sa bagan kalapayi nan Paul McCartney/Heather Mills split.... :) Mabuhay an Vatican. . .POETIC JUSTICE at its best? :wink: :wink:

Dr.X
Neophyte
Neophyte

Unread post by Dr.X »

sorry, i can't express well in tagon-on...
"Life is wasted on the living" - Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Dr. X. . . oh welcome ..

Amo sab bitterly disappointed akon Deception Point.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Try lamang Dr. X :) gamitan imo mga Tagon-on... amo dakaw tabangan astan e guide kinta. Segi lang kay si K-Spy adto paga hashasan pan ato Tagon-on Glossary. Hopefully soon on-line na yaon may ato na reference. Oh...there are articles in pure Tagon-on like gitik-gitik not only are they a pleasure to read ma polish pa gayod an ato tinagon-on.

Enjoy your stay. . .

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

Alibangbang wrote:Ina-a pa koman. . . . bagan kay anhi kita yanga anod. Diba an ato mga post nganhi sa pabyon kinahanglan sa garo na TINAGON-ON labo na yaon lumad para dili nato kalimtan an lamii na sinultihan na amoy ato yamathan??? Uno sa taraw na yanag eninglis nasa kita... singkitar si Manong Tony kon huboghubog na ag man lugwa ton kahin pa maninglis :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Heheheh ka joker mo BANG. Hala bugsay para makahigad. :lol: :lol: :lol: Naaah BANG. Kon wara pa ako taga-i nan ticket sa sine -hain ako tan-aw. Galing kay free ako. Pero I read the "Da Vinci Code" pero waray plano ko motan-aw nan sine. Personally BANG/K-Spy/FARM, libog an movie sabton kon wara mo mabasa an libro. Dili ako kon 50% sold. Waray isab plano ko na mo commentaryo kay makapa-ngoryoso pahilabi sa iban. Pero waray mawa kaniyo kon dili kamo makakita nan movie only your money (sayang). I think the Holy Spirit is doing HIS job. As you said, fiction is fiction. After all, Christ came not to take away our free will & our brain BUT to take away our SINS.

Puede da maghalohalo nan sinultihan kay may isab iban na masayon explicaron sa iningles. Ayaw lamang an mga hilawom kay dili ako kasabut. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by cordapya on Fri May 19, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Dr.X wrote:sorry, i can't express well in tagon-on...

Dr.X, Tabon-tabon line kaw baya? Madayaw kay imo inhibalag si Tagosds. Hamok na taga ato na mga bata pa na yakagawas nan Tago na dili isab makasulti pero makasabot sila nan ato tinagon-on na linguahi, isa na tingali ikaw. Pero sigi lamang kay tabangtabangan dakaw namo kon ugaling ikaw magkalisog. Hala, padayon......

Dr. X, you don't mind if I'll ask you - uno kaw na Dr.? Tingali scientist kaw, amo? :) Ok da kon dili mo ako tubagon.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

K-Spy, I didn't read these books, I listened. Hamoker ko na Books on tapes, basi may ganahan mamati ngaton sa Tago nan instead na magbasa. Kan Dan Brown, John Grisham, Sheldon, Mary Clark Higgins etc.etc. tingali isa kay ini ka balikbayan box. Iton inpang mention niyo tanan yadi kay isab tanan. Completo ako nan kan John Grisham and Dan Brown etc.etc. Ako ini ipada kanimo para mo mahi-share sa mga senior citizen ngaton sa ato. An Angels & Demons, Painted House, Runaway Jury, King of Torts missing pa. Inday sin-o adton yaka boos. Madayaw sa gud mamati kay
mahamok mo namahimo. Kon ako mag-drive, doing my household chores, in the train, bus, walking, sittting in the park, etc etc. pero dili gayod mamati kon ako maghigda kay mahikatorog sa dayon ako :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Let me know - K-Spy :roll: :roll:
Last edited by cordapya on Fri May 19, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kampanaryo_spy

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

ay, ay pangalamii na post. inin tama, may ako attenan na miting sa barangay nan tandag kuman. tsk, tsk, tsk, gakatu inin kamoy ko kay gahanahani na dayon ako mo sumpay. hurray, somebody from anahao reads umberto eco!!!!!!!

kahapon sab, brown out intiro adlaw naman way gapaugintok ngadi.

da vinci's for adults only here....pasabot, it won't be shown at SM Cinemas.......

get back to you guys later.....
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-