Serra Family Connection.

Newbies introduce yourselves here. (Guest Account can create topic & post reply in this section)

Moderator: cordapya

Joe

Serra Family Connection.

Unread post by Joe »

I have heard there are many with the name Serra in Tago and Tandag. Has anyone heard of a connection to Father Junipero Serra, the founder of the California missions? He was from Mallorca.

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Re: Serra Family Connection.

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

hi joe. welcome to tagosds.org.

i have a friend in Tandag, Plong-plong, whose real name is Manolo Junipero P. Serra. i don't know Plong's lineage but his parents must have named him after Fr. Junipero Serra. Plong has Spanish blood and he and his siblings look like one, what with their fair skin.

I'm not sure if Plong's great, great grandparents came from Mallorca. What i'm sure of is that the Serra Family is a very prominent clan, one that has produced politicians and captains of the local industry. In fact Surigao del Sur's present governor, Hon. Vicente T. Pimentel Jr., is a Serra scion and a third generation governor, after his mother and his maternal grandmother---Dona Adela Serra Ty---who was the clan's matriarch until her death in the 80s.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Joe

Re: Serra Family Connection.

Unread post by Joe »

Very interesting. In my research of my family trees, although I haven't found out what part of Spain my ancestors came from,
I have found out some Filipinos also have Mexican blood (via the Acapulco Galleon).